Friday, July 17, 2009

Avgolemono Soup

This Greek soup is light yet surprisingly satisfying. It is perfect for a summer lunch.

Avgolemono means egg and lemon and is used for all kinds of sauces. This recipe has orzo, a rice shaped pasta. I have also substituted rice but we like the pasta better. You could also subsitute any small pasta, even broken spaghetti.

Boil 8 cups of chicken broth and 1/3 to 2/3 cup of orzo for five minutes. (When I make it for myself I use less pasta because I like broth soups but when I make it for the kids they usually like more pasta)

While the broth is simmering, whisk 3 eggs, the juice of one lemon (about 3 TBL bottled juice) and a Tbl of water. Pour a little broth and pasta into the whisked egg mixture while you continue to whisk. Add it slowly or the egg mixture curdles and the texture is not so nice. Continue to add broth until you have added at least as much broth as there was egg, doubling the egg amount. Add all of the egg mixture to the broth and heat one minute more, taking care not to boil the liquid.

Salt it to taste and add lots of cracked black pepper.

No comments: