Monday, May 10, 2010

Kung Pao Tofu

Tonight our family has a class together and we do not return for dinner until late.

We are still not eating meat, although we did this weekend while visiting family. I was surprised how filling it was after not eating it for just one week.

I have already cubed one package of firm tofu, it is wrapped in plastic , waiting in the fridge.

Also waiting is:
Chopped red and orange sweet peppers
Sugar snap peas, halved
white onion
about 2 Tbl each of minced garlic and ginger

We love this dish, but I guess I say that about everything. I will have the rice and water waiting so I can start that right when I walk in the door. Then I will heat a little sesame oil in the skillet with the ginger, garlic and a 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper.

Before or after that is heating I will mix the sauce in a cup:
1/4 cup of water or broth
1 Tbl of Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbl soy sauce
2 tsp honey
2 tsp of corn starch

After the oil and spice smells nice, throw in the onion, a moment later add the peas and sweet peppers and stir. About two minutes later add the tofu and stir lightly so the tofu doesn't break up. Add the sauce and simmer a moment until it boils and looks, well, saucy.

Sprinkle a half cup of roasted peanuts over the top and serve with rice. We prefer jasmine. I don't see why you couldn't try this with cubed chicken breast. Let me know if you do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It always sounds so yummy. Too bad i am so lazy. How did you put the link to this on your facebook?