Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thai Coconut Green Curry

Thai Coconut Green Curry is relatively easy once you have the ingredients on hand. Most can be found at the grocery store but often times Asian markets have better prices and they will offer you assistance and suggestions.

My sister was an exchange student in Thailand and I learned this when her host parents came for a stay.

I prefer green curry but you can substitute yellow or red.

Cut the vegetables you want to add and if you are adding meat, I find it is most helpful to have partially frozen meat. It is easier to cut into even near-perfect strips.

Heat a little olive or sesame oil in a (cast iron) skillet and when it is hot add the curry. I would recommend a scant tablespoon for your first try. Here I am adding about two tablespoons because we like it a little spicy. You can also add a TBL finely chopped garlic and/or ginger at this time.

Cook the curry and oil about a minute until it is soft and bubbly. Add 2 large cans of coconut milk. You can use any brand but I tend to buy the cheapest brand that looks the least Americanized. It just depends on where I get it. You can shake the can before you open it to combine the milk and cream.

Sometimes I will open it carefully and separate the milk for a soup and use the thick cream for rice pudding or this curry dish. That will be very rich though.

Bring to very hot but not boiling. Add the sliced meat first and cook until done, about 20 minutes on a light simmer. When my sister's host mom made this she kept it at a full boil for a very long time, but sometimes, depending on different brands I have used, the coconut milk gets a little chunky.

Add the vegetables: eggplant, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower or whatever your garden is producing. Also add a tsp of sugar and a Tbl of oyster sauce (aka: stinky feet sauce.) You can do it without the sauce and sugar but it adds a nice depth.

Cook another 10 minutes or until desired tenderness. We prefer slightly crisp vegies.

Add a handful of chopped basil and serve immediately over rice.

2 comments:

sariah said...

That looks so yummy! How does it compare in taste to the green curry soup at Prasai's? That is the only place I've ever had green curry and I love it!

MisoMama said...

I recommend you use the basil, sugar and oyster sauce. The only times I dont is when I am out. But it is better. Once you have made it a few times and tweaked the amounts to your taste-- you will like it better.
(You can substitue cilantro if you don't have basil)