Monday, May 3, 2010

Lentil Tacos

I always seem to have spring blahs. I know many people do and I am not sure if it is the anticipation of summer and the disappointment of lingering cold, or if there is something else.

We plan to try out for a play tonight, it will be just the kids and me this time. But I assume hubby will get roped into it at some point--he did last year.

Hence, we enter our busiest season, where meal planning is crucial. So thinking ahead is mandatory. I guess I assume everyone thinks about the morrow's dinner while they are cleaning up the current dinner, but after a discussion with my sister last night, not everyone obsesses about food like me. Or rather, meal planning is not natural function for every woman.

So the plan for tonight is lentil tacos, we are taking a hiatus from meat for a few weeks and this will be more challenging for me than usual. But as my mom always said, "the less options you have, the more creative you are."

I soaked 2 cups of lentils in cold water for a few hours in a pot on the stove. Next, I sliced onion, bell pepper and a Serrano chili. That combination is waiting in a sealed bowl. Also waiting is a bowl of lettuce, a bowl of shredded cheese and a portion of corn tortillas for everyone.

When I return, I will put a little chopped onion (already waiting) in a skillet with olive oil and spices: cumin, chili powder, garlic and cayenne. Then add the rinsed, drained lentils and a cup of water. Add water as needed until the lentils soften and they have a "ground beef" consistency." It takes about 20 minutes.

While that is going, lightly saute the peppers and onions. Everyone makes their own tacos at the table.

We all love this. A couple of things you can do for the meatless-hesitant: serve with sour cream and use beef broth instead of water.

They way we have grown to love corn tortillas is to spread a scant dab of butter or use a pastry brush with butter/olive oil on one side of each tortilla. Then stack them on a small plate and wrap with plastic wrap. Microwave 2-3 minutes, they will be pliable and not break.

2 comments:

St Harris said...

Glad you are back. Love your posts.

Stephanie Harris
Lani's friend

Unknown said...

That sounds yummy. I am struggling with dinner these days. No time and so we eat bad things. How about you post what you eat each day and we will have it the next day? Just a thought. Miss you.