Friday, September 5, 2008

Improv Bread

We have decided to be less healthy.

Not the normal declaration, I know. But my 100% whole wheat bread is just so heavy, hard and dull that I decided to buy some white flour. I watched a podcast from COOKS Illustrated online and I mouth began to water over their scones. Last time we had white flour in our house was for Christmas baking.

I handed my husband his sandwich this morning when he was on his way out, it felt like his simple lunch weighed pound! Casually I remarked "I think I'll buy some white flour." The kids cheered.

At our lunch today, the kids reiterated their point (in case I wavered) by pretending that their grilled turkey, peperoncini and mozzarella sandwiches were breaking their teeth. It is OK, I remember complaining to my mom that all she ever bought was birdseed bread.

Since I believe cooking is equal parts art and science I taught my kids that homemade bread only requires a guideline. My Improv Bread directions are:

* Soften 2 tsp of yeast in 1 cup warm liquid (milk, water, soymilk, coffee)
* Add 1 - 4 tablespoons of sweetener or combination of (honey, raw sugar, white or brown sugar, molasses)
* Add 1 - 4 tablespoons of fat (olive oil, butter, vegetable oil, shortening)
* Add half of the total flour (total amount will be approximately 3 1/4 cups) I personally recommend no more than 50% wheat or you will make a loaf similar to my aforementioned 1 lb sandwich.
* Add a few dress-ups:
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ finely chopped onion
½ cup raisins
1 cup shredded cheese
1 Egg
1 Tbl poppy or sesame seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dried herbs
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbl wheat or oat germ or bran, etc.
Finely chopped jalapeño
handful of oats
* Beat well and slowly work in the remaining flour

Of course I assume you know all the steps of kneading and rising the dough. Your type of bread depends on your choice of additions.

Try making it with coffee, extra sweetener, egg, cinnamon and cocoa powder. We call this caffeine bread.

I also love it made with milk, butter, less sweetener, garlic, cheese and jalapeños. (milk gives a softer crust, the butter and cheese make it flaky.)

A favorite is with water, less sweetener, onion, poppy seed and dill. Great sandwich!

All you really have to remember is the approximate ratio of 3:1. Three cups of flour and 1 cup liquid. The rest is pretty negotiable. Get improvising!

***
weather cools outside
scents and warmth draw us indoors
enter and enjoy

1 comment:

lawdy said...

you're blog is great! i love hearing about food, bread, and recipes.