Monday, September 8, 2008

My Mother's Cook Book

I remember looking at the cover of this book when I was very young. I was fascinated by the cover. I knew in my heart this woman was beautiful. I loved her very short skirt. My mom never wore anything like that.

"Mommy, why does the tiger want to get her?"
"I don't know honey."

"What is she cooking?"
"I don't know."

"Why is she cooking in the jungle?"
"I don't know...."

Funny, it seemed like my mom always knew the answer to everything even if she didn't always share that answer with me. Usually the answer she gave to me was "A cup of tea and a slice of toast."

The cure-all: tea and toast.

I grew up intrigued by the allure of this brave, dangerous woman and when I was married I knew I needed my own copy even though the book is older than I am. I use the sourdough bread on a regular basis. (Although the NY Times has a great No-Knead bread that is easier and tastes like sourdough.) There are all sorts of recipes that do not use fake sugar but raw honey, raw sugar and organic cane sugar. It is a complete cookbook with everything from drinks and main dishes to desserts and snacks.

Thanks mom for all the years of homemade food and teaching a love for natural goodness!

1 comment:

sariah said...

Wow, your description of how you felt as a child about the cover of your book captured those thoughts so well! I wonder what books my children are currently making memories about?