Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dutch Oven Tomatillo Pork Roast

We had our first prepared meal in our new home last night. It was appropriate, after honey's first day. I am not very experienced with cooking pork but with a little over the phone help from my mom we figured out a recipe.
I placed a 3 lb pork loin in a bowl with about 1/2 cup of homemade tomatillo salsa (any salsa verde would do) I marinated the loin approximately 30 minutes.

I heated my dutch oven on the stove top with a little olive oil. Then I seared the meat on both sides. Next I placed one large onion cut into wedges around the roast and scraped the remaining salsa marinade from the bowl into the dutch oven and sprinkled the entire thing with 1 tsp of salt. I covered it with a lid and baked it 2 hours at 350 degrees. Then I drained the juices, into my cast iron skillet and prepared a thin gravy. I added a drained can of black beans to the dutch oven and cooked it about 20 minutes more. I served it with brown jasmine rice.

The house is still littered with the signs of moving but last night it smelled like home.

1 comment:

Craaaazy Laaady said...

Oooh that looks good. I have two pork loins in the freezer that I might have to cook up! Glad to hear you are cooking in your kitchen. I know your family will love the smells of your yummy bread!